The Premiere Playhouse (TPP), a professionally staffed, community-based non-profit theatre and education organization in residence at the Orpheum Theater Center of Sioux Falls, South Dakota is hiring a Technical Coordinator for its upcoming annual holiday (re-mount) production of A Christmas Carol to support our Production Specialist and Technical Specialist in coordinating the technical areas of this large scale theatrical endeavor.
Position: Technical Coordinator
Status: Part-time, contracted position
Position Overview: This position is responsible for working with the Technical Specialist and Production Specialist to coordinate all the technical areas of the production.
Reports To: Production Specialist, Technical Specialist, Managing Artistic Director
Direct Reports: N/A
• Must have a broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre; desire for a primary focus on scenery, rigging and/or technical direction in theatre.
• Able to negotiate and act as mediator in artistic and technical discussions.
• Experience adhering to production budgets.
• Experience adhering to production calendars and schedules.
• Able to lift 40lb, climb ladders, and perform manual labor.
• Possess computer skills and general knowledge of spreadsheets.
• Knowledge of common industry-specific software and experience writing and/or reading drafting, ground plans, light plots and other theatrical specifications.
• Possess excellent leadership and communication skills, have the ability to manage shifting and competing priorities, exercise good judgment and discretion, and maintain a positive attitude in stressful environments.
• Work with the Technical Specialist in executing and overseeing the safe and timely creation, modification, or assembly of pre-existing scenery pieces.
• Adhere to scenic budgets.
• Coordinate the build, load-in and load-out process for the scenic elements while working hands on with contractors and volunteers to execute each process.
• Ensure materials and equipment are on hand and ready for projects to proceed in the scene shop.
• Attend all scheduled production meetings and production department meetings as needed.
• Coordinate technical concerns and calendar needs with the Production Specialist and Technical Specialist.
• Support all technical areas in the execution or modification of designs as needed.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Work within various environments of theatre productions with moderate exposure to dust, noise, etc. Work in an office setting and various offsite locations. Partial remote work available. Ability to pick up necessary office equipment when needed, some moderately heavy lifting occasionally required. Ability to physically assist individuals with mobility issues. Able to lift 40lb, climb ladders, and perform manual labor. Work with the community in varied environments. Occasional travel within S.E. South Dakota. Extended and unusual hours.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre and/or a minimum of five years of professional experience is encouraged.
To Apply: Submit an online production application form that includes a resume and cover letter addressing your relevant experience and interest in this role, as well as your interest in working for TPP. On your online application, please check the “production” box for “A Christmas Carol” and the “department” box for “Technical, Set Building & Painting”; it is not necessary to answer the questions listed if a cover letter is provided. Questions regarding this position or the application process can be directed to Managing Artistic Director, Oliver Mayes at [email protected].