The Premiere Playhouse (TPP), a professionally staffed, community-based non profit theatre organization in residence at the Orpheum Theater Center of Sioux Falls, South Dakota is hiring a Stage & Technical Specialist. This position is being introduced as part of The Premiere Playhouse’s restructuring under the leadership of newly appointed Managing Artistic Director, Oliver Mayes. TPP’s mission is to create exceptional theatre through education, accessibility, inclusivity, and collaboration to enrich our community. Our values include Fiscal Responsibility, Accessibility and Inclusivity, Community, and Excellence. More available at: https://thepremiereplayhouse.com/.
Position: Stage & Technical Specialist
Status: Full-time Salaried
Position Overview: This position is responsible for oversight of the stage management and technical direction areas of production. As lead Stage Manager, they will stage manage all mainstage productions and oversee Stage Managers for all other productions, i.e. education and expanded programming. As Technical Director, they will oversee contracted technical employees and volunteers on the drafting and building of all sets. As part of the production management team, this position also acts as Assistant Production Manager for mainstage productions, stepping in as Production Manager for one to two productions per season. In cooperation with the Production Specialist, they will oversee TPP’s shop operations. (Please note that candidates with any variation of experience described – or potentially excluded – above will be considered for this position.)
Reports To: Managing Artistic Director
Direct Reports: Contracted Employees & Volunteers – Assistant Stage Managers, Technical Coordinators, Head Carpenters, Carpenters, etc.
- Must have a broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre with focused training and/or experience in stage management and technical direction.
- Able to negotiate and act as mediator in artistic and technical discussions.
- Experience monitoring and adhering to budgets.
- Experience overseeing production calendars and schedules.
- Able to lift 40lb, climb ladders, and perform manual labor.
- Possess computer skills and general knowledge of spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of common industry-specific software and experience writing and/or reading drafting, ground plans, light plots and other theatrical specifications.
- Possess excellent leadership and communication skills, have the ability to manage shifting and competing priorities, exercise good judgment and discretion, and maintain a positive attitude in stressful environments.
General Responsibilities: Stage Management
- Fulfill the role of Production Stage Manager for all mainstage productions.
- Oversee and (as needed) mentor Stage Managers for education and expanded programming.
- Attend all production meetings, rehearsals and performances; call technical cues for performances.
- Act as communication liaison between rehearsal creatives and production creatives throughout the production process.
- Fulfill the role of Technical Director for all mainstage productions.
- Oversee and (as needed) mentor Technical Directors for education and expanded programming.
- Work with theatrical designers and the director of each production to ensure common knowledge of the theatre’s technical capabilities and limitations.
- Oversee the safe and timely creation of scenery for all programming and is responsible for the creation of scenic elements for each production.
- In cooperation with the Production Specialist, oversee the scene shop operations and organization.
- Monitor and adhere to scenic budgets.
- Generate accurate and detailed working draftings of all scenic elements through collaboration with the designers.
- Determine how best to create and build all scenic elements from the working drawings.
- Manage the build and load-ins process for the scenic elements while working hands on with carpenters/contractors.
- Attend all production meetings; ensure materials and equipment are on hand and ready for projects to proceed in the scene shop.
- Maintain open communication with Designers to anticipate design changes that could result in budget overruns and communicate any concerns to the Production Specialist.
- Coordinate technical concerns and calendar needs with the Production Specialist.
- Support all technical areas in the execution of designs as needed.
- Fulfill the role of Assistant Production Manager for most mainstage productions.
- Fulfill the role of Production Manager for one to two mainstage productions.
- Attend all production meetings; lead production meetings as needed.
- Assist the Production Specialist and Managing Artistic Director in developing and adhering to the design deadlines and production schedule, including load-in and technical rehearsals.
- Assist in onboarding contractors for each production.
- In cooperation with the Production Specialist, oversee inventory and maintenance of all shops, stage supplies, costumes and theatre equipment.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Work within various environments of theatre productions with moderate exposure to dust, noise, etc. Work in an office setting and various offsite locations. Partial remote work available. Ability to pick up necessary office equipment when needed, some moderately heavy lifting occasionally required. Ability to physically assist individuals with mobility issues. Able to lift 40lb, climb ladders, and perform manual labor. Work with the community in varied environments. Occasional travel within S.E. South Dakota. Extended and unusual hours. Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre is required. Three or more years of experience in stage management, technical direction, and/or production management. Candidates with any variation of experience described above will be considered. Measures of Performance:
- Meets monthly goals and production deadlines.
- Coordination Effectiveness.
- Accuracy and Timeliness.
- Project Outcomes.
- Ability to act as a leader and team member.
To Apply: Submit an online application; in addition to this please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your relevant experience and interest in this role, as well as your interest in working for TPP. On your online application, it is not necessary to answer the questions listed if a cover letter is provided. Questions regarding this position or the application process can be directed to Managing Artistic Director, Oliver Mayes at [email protected].